I am delighted to welcome you to the new school year at Argoed High and to our new website – packed full of information to help pupils, parents/carers and the wider community understand what we’re about and how everyone can get the most out of school.
We’re on a mission here to excite all our pupils about the learning journey that they’re on – a journey that we hope will last throughout their lives. Every one of us on the team at Argoed High – teaching and support staff – is here to encourage, to nurture and to recognise the individual skills and personal qualities of each and every student and to help them realise their full potential.
We have an excellent school and we want to continue to encourage excellent performance not only in academic subjects but in the range of activities and interests that our pupils can pursue in our extra curricular programme.
We want to support the development of rounded, resilient and open-minded individuals; enthusiastic young people who take an active part in their own learning and want to make a positive contribution to the world – whether on the local or the global stage.
One of my key goals as Headteacher is to build even stronger links with the local community – something which I believe is vital for the success of our mission here at school. Whilst our pupils are at the centre of what we do, I want us to continue to be a school that is rooted in its local community, and I will be looking to develop new partnerships that support this.
Having been a member of the team here for more than 15 years, I can see the wonderful opportunities that lie ahead for us and I am really looking forward to working with our pupils, their parents/carers, our Governing Body and our local community to make Argoed High School the best it can be.
Key Beliefs / What we set out to do at Argoed High School
We are a school which:
- Provides a challenging curriculum where everyone fulfils their potential
- Invests in developing active and independent learning – we ensure that pupils are equipped with the ability to question and discuss rationally, apply themselves to tasks and develop a lively, inquiring mind
- Prepares pupils to be well-balanced and responsible global citizens – we do our best to encourage regard for moral values, to instil self respect and respect for others, tolerance of other ways of living and an understanding of the world
- Has high expectations and aspirations for all – we expect pupils to work hard and to only be satisfied with their very best efforts
- Takes pride in all that we do and are all accountable for our actions.
What kind of school is Argoed High School?
Argoed High is a happy, caring school with high standards. The school leadership works hard to create an environment where pupils enjoy learning and where there is a positive atmosphere in which pupils feel secure and confident in expressing themselves.
Argoed High encourages each pupil to learn at their own pace and in their own way, recognising that each child is a unique individual.
And, apart from the nurturing of academic achievement, Argoed High aims to prepare its pupils for life after school and ensure that when they leave they will be confident about making new friends, be keen to learn new things, have concern for the welfare of other people and make their school, their parents and their friends proud of them.